2012 Kia Sorento towing capacity chart
The 2012 Kia Sorento world-class-styled Korean crossover SUV is the definition of versatility with a sleek, contemporary styling that provides intelligently designed storage spaces. The unibody design has a spacious cabin that includes available split-folding third-row seats, which allow room for up to seven passengers offering more space and ride comfort. In this article, we will be exploring all the trim options and features available for Kia Sorento 2012 model with its towing capacity.
|2012 Kia Sorento||2012 Kia Sorento towing capacity|
|Kia Sorento LX||1,650 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento LX V6||3,500 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento EX||1,650 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento EX V6||3,500 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento SX||3,500 lbs.|
Table of Contents
- 2012 Kia Sorento towing capacity chart
- 2012 Kia Sorento Engine Specs
- 2012 Kia Sorento trims
- 2012 Kia Sorento Driver Assist Technology
- 2012 Kia Sorento Safety Features
- Is the 2012 Kia Sorento good for towing?
- Frequently Asked Questions
2012 Kia Sorento Engine Specs
The 2012 Kia Sorento rides and maneuvers nicely for an SUV of its size, and it’s available with three engine options. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine generates 175 horsepower and 169 lb-ft of torque. The 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine produces 191 horsepower & 181 lb-ft. of torque. The 3.5-liter V6 engine version for even greater capabilities which produces 276 horsepower and 248 lb-ft of torque is available in upper trims. It has an electronically controlled 6-speed automatic, overdrive with Sportmatic that lets you enjoy the sportier drive satisfaction of clutch-free seamless manual shifting.
All three engines have advanced technology that includes double overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) which automatically adjusts valve timing for increased power, reduced exhaust emissions, and improved fuel efficiency. It is available in both front-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations.
|Engine Type||2.4L Inline 4-Cylinder Engine||2.4L Inline 4-Cylinder Gasoline|
Direct Injection (GDI) Engine
|3.5L V6 Engine|
|Horsepower||175 hp @ 6,000rpm||191 hp @ 6,300 rpm||276 hp @ 6,300rpm|
|Torque||169 lb.-ft. @ 3,750rpm||181 lb.-ft. @ 4,250rpm||248 lb.-ft. @ 5,000rpm|
|Towing capacity||1,650 lbs.||1,650 lbs.||3,500 lbs.|
2012 Kia Sorento trims
The 2012 Kia Sorento models with updated packaging and new standard features across the lineup. The Sorento comes in five different trim levels to choose from its standard features include advanced driver assistance systems. The 2012 Kia Sorento comes with the reshuffling of its options list to make more features standard at each trim level. AWD models feature full-time torque on demand using electronic sensors to monitor road conditions and then distribute power to the appropriate wheels. Let’s find out more about all the details on the 2012 Kia Sorento trim levels below.
2012 Kia Sorento Sorento LX towing capacity
The 2012 Kia Sorento LX trim is powered by a 2.4L Multi-point injection 4-cylinder engine that produces a maximum power of 175 hp and 169 lb.-ft. torque. The highlighted features are 17-inch tires with Alloy Wheels, Dual body-color heated power mirrors w/turn-signal indicators, AM/FM/CD/MP3 support, SIRIUS Audio system, USB auxiliary input jacks, Bluetooth wireless technology, Power door locks with remote keyless entry, and Tricot cloth seat trim 60/40 split-folding 2nd-row seats. When equipped properly the maximum towing capacity of the 2012 Kia Sorento is 1,650 pounds.
2012 Kia Sorento Sorento LX V6 towing capacity
The 2012 Kia Sorento LX V6 trim is powered by a 3.5L V6 engine that generates maximum power of 276 hp and 248 lb.-ft. torque. The highlighted features are silver finish Roof rails, dual body-color heated power mirrors with turn with turn-signal indicators, power windows with driver one-touch auto up & down, and a second-row armrest cup holder. The Kia Sorento LX V6 2012 trim maximum towing capacity is up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped.
2012 Kia Sorento Sorento EX towing capacity
The 2012 Kia Sorento EX trim is powered by 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine that produces 191 horsepower & 181 lb-ft. of torque. The highlighted features are 18-inch hyper-finish tires with Alloy Wheels, auto light control, front fog lights, rear spoiler, UVO in-vehicle infotainment system, a rear-camera display, Push button start with smart key, a Back-up warning system, dual-zone automatic temperature control, cloth/leatherette seat, Leather-wrapped steering wheel/gearshift knob and 8-way Power Driver Seat with lumbar support. The 2012 Kia Sorento EX’s maximum towing capacity is up to 1,650 pounds when properly equipped.
2012 Kia Sorento Sorento EX V6 towing capacity
The 2012 Kia Sorento EX V6 trim is powered by a 3.5L V6 engine that generates maximum power of 276 hp and 248 lb.-ft. torque. The Sorento EX V6 trim comes with a panoramic sunroof, 50/50 split-folding 3rd-row seats, Rear air conditioning, and Heated front seats. The maximum towing capacity of the 2012 Kia Sorento EX V6 trim is 3,500 pounds when properly equipped.
2012 Kia Sorento SX towing capacity
The 2012 Kia Sorento SX trim key highlighted features are 18-inch tires with mirror-finish alloy wheels, Power-folding side mirrors, chrome finish roof rails, Body-color front & rear bumpers, Rear LED tail lamps, Infinity surround-sound audio with10 speakers, Voice-command navigation, Auto-dimming rear-view mirror, SX meter-cluster face, 1st & 2nd rows leather seat trim, Air-cooled driver’s seat, Memory driver’s seat and mirror position. The maximum towing capacity of the 2012 Kia Sorento SX trim is 3,500 pounds when properly equipped.
Note: Your Kia Sorento towing capacity can be affected by the number of passengers riding along, how much cargo you’re bringing, and other factors. Exceeding the towing capacity can be hazardous to you and the drivers around you and harmful to your drivetrain. Always see Owner's Manual for towing instructions and capabilities. Tow Hitch required for towing operations. Discover 8 important tips to tow trailer safely, and efficiently. What do I need to know before towing a trailer?
2012 Kia Sorento Driver Assist Technology
The 2012 Kia Sorento features advanced active driver assist technology safety features designed to maintain control, even in harsh road conditions and in some emergency situations. Every system is also designed to function automatically, leaving you unburdened to focus on safe driving.
- Electronic Stability Control(ESC): ESC uses to transmit information about your vehicle’s speed and lateral acceleration to an onboard computer. The system then adjusts engine speed and brake pressure as required to help enhance your Sorento’s ability to respond to your steering.
- Traction Control System(TCS): TCS can sense wheel spin during acceleration. When it does it uses a combination of engine power and brake force to transfer power to the wheels that have the most traction. This provides both increased control and enhanced responsiveness.
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution(EBD): EBD senses the vehicle’s load and weight distribution, then applies the necessary braking pressure at each wheel. It’s a system that helps to enhance your control.
- Brake Assist System(BAS): BAS operates based on the force that’s applied to the brake pedal. If you need to brake aggressively it helps control and stop by applying the necessary braking pressure.
- Downhill Brake Control (DBC): DBC is particularly helpful on steep slopes. Using the Anti-lock Braking System, it holds your Sorento’s speed steady, up to 5mph, so you can concentrate on steering.
- Hill Assist Control (HAC): When stopped on a steep hill, a vehicle may roll once the driver releases the brake. HAC helps by gently applying the brakes for two seconds while you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
2012 Kia Sorento Safety Features
Sorento’s passive safety systems are designed to help minimize injury and protect occupants when an accident is inescapable. An advanced system of airbags Dual front airbags and seat-mounted side airbags guard the driver and front passenger. This means from the back to the bottom, Sorento is engineered to help enhance you’re and your passengers well being.
- Front Active Headrests: In the event of certain rear collisions, the active headrests move up and forward, helping to reduce the likelihood of neck injury.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System: The system includes air pressure sensors located at each wheel. If a tire reaches a specified low air pressure, a warning light will alert you.
- Front Seat Belt Pretensioners: In the event of certain collisions, the pretensions tighten slack in the seat belts. They then let out the appropriate amount of additional belts to limit pressure on the body.
- Reinforced Body Design: Each door is reinforced with steel beams to absorb impact energy and detect side-impact energy force. Both the A and B pillars are reinforced to help minimize damage.
Is the 2012 Kia Sorento good for towing?
The 2012 Kia Sorento has advanced technology designed to provide convenient operation and enhance your driving experience. With different trim options, transmission, and drivetrain to consider, the whole 2012 Kia Sorento range is a good midsize crossover. The maximum towing capacity is 3,500 pounds when equipped with the 3.5-liter V6 engine and that figure falls to 1,650 pounds opt for both engine options 2.4L Inline four-cylinder and 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection 4 Cylinder engine. Lastly, you’ll want to check the exact weight of whatever you plan to tow before hitching it up to your vehicle.
Also Read: 2011 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento Hybrid towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento Plug-In Hybrid towing capacity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a 2012 Kia Sorento tow a camper?
Yes, the 2012 Kia Sorento is able to tow a camper. While the upgraded 3.5L V6 engine adds 1,500 pounds to bring the maximum towing capacity of the Sorento SX up to 3,500 pounds. Just be sure that the camper weighs a maximum of 3,000 lbs. further towing capacity is enhanced by Kia’s safety and driver-assistance features.
What can a 2012 Kia Sorento tow?
The 2012 Kia Sorento SUV has a decent towing capacity for a compact SUV that can handle most small trailers and boats. For towing a boat or trailer, the V6 engine provides an outstanding 3,500 pounds towing capacity, which is more than enough for bass boats, kayaks, canoes, jet skis, motorcycles, and some small trailers.
How much weight can a 2012 Kia Sorento pull?
The 2012 Kia Sorento provides a sufficient level of towing power, adding to the vehicle’s impressive driving abilities. With three powertrain options to choose 2.4L-I4 & 2.4L GDI which can tow 1,650 pounds and 3.5L V6 which can tow 3,500 pounds when properly equipped.