2015 Ford Explorer towing capacity chart.
The 2015 Ford Explorer redefines class to upgrade your getaways to capably outgoing, technologically, and beautifully refined. It’s more aerodynamic, and more extravagant having an exceptional mixture of power, and adaptability. Tow ratings can be tricky as the car manufacturer may provide you with a tow rating in your manual, but they also only post the information they want you to know. Most tow ratings do not tell you in detail about towing capacity which varies with different configurations. In this article let’s take a look at the trim, engine options, and the 2015 Ford Explorer’s towing capacity in detail.
|2015 Ford Explorer trim levels||2015 Ford Explorer towing capacity|
|Ford Explorer||2,000 – 5,000 lbs.|
|Ford Explorer XLT||2,000 – 5,000 lbs.|
|Ford Explorer Limited||2,000 – 5,000 lbs.|
|Ford Explorer Sport||5,000 lbs.|
Table of Contents
Towing trailers beyond the maximum recommended gross trailer weight exceeds the limit of your vehicle and could result in engine damage, transmission damage, structural damage, loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, and personal injury. Do not exceed the GVWR or the GAWR specified on the certification label.
2015 Ford Explorer Engine Specs
- 2.0L Ecoboost I-4: The 2.0L also features precisely tuned twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) technology, which contributes to its power output as well as its outstanding fuel efficiency.
- 3.5L Ti-VCT V6: Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) delivers robust power while also contributing to efficiency. By allowing intake and exhaust valves to adjust independently for precise valve timing control, Ti-VCT helps optimize performance.
- 3.5L Ecoboost V6: The V6 engine combines twin turbochargers with direct injection technology, this responsive powertrain generates nearly quick power on demand.
|Engine||2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4||3.5L Ti-VCT V6||3.5L Ecoboost V6|
|Horsepower||240 hp @ 5,500rpm||290 hp @ 6,500rpm||365 hp @ 5,500rpm|
|Torque||270 lb.-ft. @ 3,000rpm||255 lb.-ft. @ 4,000rpm||350 lb.-ft. @ 3,500rpm|
Note: Specific states require electric trailer brakes for trailers over a specified weight. Be certain to review state regulations for this determined weight. The maximum trailer weights listed could be limited to this specified weight, as the vehicle’s electrical system may not include the wiring connector needed to activate electric trailer brakes.
2015 Ford Explorer towing capacity without Trailer tow package
|Engine||GCWR (lbs.)||Drive||Maximum Trailer Weight (lbs.)|
|2.0L Ecoboost I-4||6,880||2WD||2,000|
|3.5L Ti-VCT V6||6,940|
|3.5L Ecoboost V6||7,400||4WD||2,000|
2015 Ford Ranger Trailer Tow Package
The trailer towing packages increase your Explorer’s towing capacity. Each allows for heavier hauls and expands the options of what you can take with your SUV. When properly equipped with Class III Trailer Tow Package for maximum towing capabilities. This package is not available with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine. Towing a trailer places an extra load on your vehicle’s engine, transmission, axle, brakes, tires, and suspension. Check these parts periodically during, and after, any towing function.
Class III Trailer Tow Package (towing capability up to 5,000 lbs.):
- Engine oil cooler.
- 7-/4-pin wiring harness.
Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. For additional information, see your vehicle owner's manual.
2015 Ford Explorer towing capacity with Trailer tow package
|Engine||GCWR (lbs.)||Drive||Maximum Trailer Weight (lbs.)|
|3.5L TiVCT V6||9,980|
|3.5L Ecoboost V6||10,400||4WD||5,000|
2015 Ford Explorer trims
For 2015, you can choose from four well-equipped models: Explorer, XLT, Limited, and Sport. Let’s find out more about all the details of the maximum towing potential of each of the trim levels of the 2015 Explorer lineup below.
2015 Ford Explorer towing capacity
The 2015 Ford Explorer Base trim highlighted features are 18″ painted aluminum wheels with P245/60R18 all-season BSW tires, 1st-row Cloth bucket seats with 2-way adjustable head restraints & 6-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar, AM/FM stereo/single-CD player with MP3 capability & 6 speakers, Power windows with a one-touch-down driver’s side window feature, MyFord with 4.2″ color LCD displays in the instrument cluster and center stack, and media hub with auxiliary audio input jack. The maximum towing capacity when equipped properly is between 2,000 to 5,000 pounds.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT towing capacity
The 2015 Ford Explorer XLT offers all the features of Explorer plus other standard features are 6-way power front-passenger unique cloth seat with manual lumbar, Illuminated visor vanity mirrors, Leather-wrapped steering wheel & shift knob, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, SYNC voice-activated, in-vehicle connectivity system (includes USB port in media hub), Fog lamps, Chrome door handles, Reverse Sensing System, Heavy-duty front and rear brake calipers. The maximum towing capacity when equipped properly is between 2,000 to 5,000 pounds.
2015 Ford Explorer Limited towing capacity
The 2015 Ford Explorer Limited highlighted features are 20″ painted aluminum wheels with P255/50R20 all-season BSW tires, Intelligent Access with push-button start, Remote Start System, 1st-row heated bucket seats with 4-way adjustable head restraints, 10-way power driver’s seat (including power lumbar and recline) with memory feature, & 6-way power front-passenger seat with manual lumbar, 2nd-row 60/40 split fold-flat seat with heated outboard seats, fore/aft adjustable 40 section, Leather-trimmed seating surfaces, a 110-volt power outlet, Ambient lighting, Audio System from Sony with 12 speakers & HD Radio Technology, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, and Rear view camera. The maximum towing capacity when equipped properly is between 2,000 to 5,000 pounds.
2015 Ford Explorer Sport towing capacity
The 2015 Ford Explorer Sport highlighted features are 20″ machined aluminum wheels with painted pockets & P255/50R20 all-season BSW tires, Intelligent 4WD with Terrain Management System, Sport-tuned suspension, 1st-row heated, 10-way power bucket seats (including power lumbar and recline) with driver’s side memory feature, Leather-trimmed seating surfaces with red accent stitching, 1st & 2nd-row carpeted floor mats with unique badging, and bright dual exhaust tips integrated into the lower bumper fascia. The maximum towing capacity when equipped properly is up to 5,000 pounds.
Explore more: 2022 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2021 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2020 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2019 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2018 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2017 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2016 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2014 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2013 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2012 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2011 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2010 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2009 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2008 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2007 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2006 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2005 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2004 Ford Explorer towing capacity. 2003 Ford Explorer towing capacity.
The load capacity of your vehicle is designated by weight not volume. Towing a trailer places extra load on the engine, transmission, axle, brakes, tires, and suspension. To help minimize how trailer movement affects your vehicle when driving.
- Load the heaviest items closest to the trailer floor.
- Load the heaviest items centered between the left and right side trailer tires.
- Load the heaviest items above the trailer axles or just slightly forward toward the trailer tongue. Do not allow the final trailer tongue weight to go above or below 10–15% of the loaded trailer weight.
- Select a tow bar with the correct rise or drop. When both the loaded vehicle and trailer are connected, the trailer frame should be level, or slightly angled down toward your vehicle, when viewed from the side.
Trailer Sway Control
This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the stability control light flashes. Slow your vehicle down, pull safely to the side of the road and check for the correct load distribution. Turning off trailer sway control increases the risk of loss of vehicle control, serious injury, or death.
Note: This feature does not prevent trailer sway, but reduces it when it begins. This feature cannot stop all trailers from swaying. In some cases, if your vehicle speed is too high, the system may turn on multiple times, gradually reducing your vehicle speed.
2015 Ford Explorer towing guide
- Do not tow a trailer until you drive your vehicle at least 1000 miles. Also, do not drive faster than 70 mph.
- See the instructions included with towing accessories for the proper installation and adjustment specifications.
- Service your vehicle more frequently if you tow a trailer. See your scheduled maintenance information.
- Check your hitch, electrical connections, and trailer wheel lug nuts thoroughly after you have traveled 50 miles.
- When stopped in blocked or heavy traffic during hot weather, place the gearshift in position P to aid engine and transmission cooling and to help air conditioning performance.
- Turn off the speed control with heavy loads or in hilly terrain. The speed control may turn off automatically when you are towing on long, steep grades.
- Shift to lower gear when driving down a long or steep hill. Do not apply the brakes continuously, as they may overheat and become less effective.
- Use the Grade Assist or Tow/Haul feature when towing. These provide engine braking and help eliminate excessive transmission shifting for optimum fuel economy and transmission cooling.
- Allow more distance for stopping with a trailer attached. Anticipate stops and brake gradually.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can a 2015 Ford Explorer pull with a tow package?
The 2015 Ford Explorer with the engine option of 3.5 liters Ti-VCT or Ecoboost V6 paired with an available Class III trailer tow package, empowering you to tow up to 5,000 pounds.
What can my 2015 Ford Explorer tow?
The 2015 Ford Explorer can tow pop-up trailers, mixed trailers, teardrop trailers, small boats, and some smaller travel trailers. With up to 5,000 pounds of towing capacity is good for towing things that matched your family’s needs. Do not tow things that are heavier because it would wear down your transmission and suspension.