2017 Kia Sorento towing capacity chart
The 2017 Kia Sorento Korean SUV with bold exterior styling and impressive performance with additional improvements. Its available premium interior and seating for seven provide exceptional comfort, while a range of available technologically advanced features. The 2017 model is more capable with increased towing capacity, delivering class-up premium materials and enhancing everyday convenience. The Sorento advanced high-strength steel and additional structural reinforcement have resulted in improved torsional rigidity, and provide better ride comfort and driving dynamics. In this article, we will explore every one of the trim choices and highlights accessible for Kia Sorento 2017 model with its towing limit.
|2017 Kia Sorento||2017 Kia Sorento towing capacity|
|Kia Sorento L||2,000 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento LX||2,000 – 3,500 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento EX||3,500 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento SX||3,500 – 5,000 lbs.|
|Kia Sorento SX Limited||3,500 lbs.|
2017 Kia Sorento Engine Specs
The 2017 Kia Sorento comes with three engine options to choose from. The powerful all-aluminum 3.3-liter V6 GDI produces a smooth 290 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and a stout 252 lb.-ft. of torque at 5,300 rpm. The 2.4-liter GDI four-cylinder engine has 185 horsepower at 6,000rpm and 178 lb.-ft. of torque on-hand at a low 4,000rpm, the lightweight all-aluminum powerplant is efficient while still providing enough performance. The turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4 provides the best, making a 240 horsepower maximum power and 260 lb.-ft. torque while also delivering improved fuel efficiency.
All three engines channel energy through an electronically controlled six-speed automatic gearbox featuring Sportmatic shifting. It is available in both front-wheel and all-wheel drive configurations. The advanced all-wheel-drive (AWD) system continuously monitors driving conditions and anticipates traction requirements, with complete confidence with seamless efficiency.
|Engine Type||2.4L Gasoline|
Direct Injection (GDI) Inline 4-Cylinder Engine
Direct Injection (GDI) V6 Engine
|Horsepower||185 hp @ 6,000 rpm||240 hp @ 6,000 rpm||290 hp @ 6,400 rpm|
|Torque||178 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm||260 lb.-ft. @|
|252 lb.-ft. @ 5,300 rpm|
|2,000/2,000 lbs.||3,500/3,500 lbs.||3,500/5,000 lbs.|
Note: Your Kia Sorento towing capacity can be affected by the number of passengers riding along, how much cargo you’re bringing, and other factors. Exceeding the towing capacity can be hazardous to you and the drivers around you and harmful to your drivetrain. Always see Owner's Manual for towing instructions and capabilities. Tow Hitch required for towing operations. Discover 8 important tips to tow trailer safely, and efficiently.
2017 Kia Sorento trims
The 2016 Kia Sorento models with standard premium features and luxurious amenities are available across five trim levels L, LX, EX, SX, and SX Limited. AWD models feature full-time torque on demand using electronic sensors to monitor road conditions and then distribute power to the appropriate wheels. Let’s find out more about all the details on the 2017 Kia Sorento trim levels below.
2017 Kia Sorento Sorento L towing capacity
The 2017 Kia Sorento L trim is powered by 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine that produces 185 hp and 178 lb.-ft torque. The highlighted features are 17-inch tires with Alloy Wheels, Clear lens projection headlights, power mirrors with turn-signal indicators, AM/FM/CD/MP3 support, SIRIUS Audio system, USB auxiliary input jacks, Bluetooth wireless technology, Cruise control, Power door locks with remote keyless entry, Cloth seats with fabric treatment 40/20/40 split-folding 2nd-row seat, Power windows with driver’s one-touch auto up & down. When equipped properly the maximum towing capacity of the 2017 Kia Sorento L is 2,000 pounds.
2017 Kia Sorento Sorento LX towing capacity
The 2017 Kia Sorento LX highlighted features are UVO eServices Infotainment System, silver finish Roof rails, Rear-Camera Display, Rapid charge USB port, Acoustic glass front windshield, power windows with driver one-touch auto up & down, auto light control, and a second-row armrest cup holder. The Kia Sorento LX 2017 trim maximum towing capacity is up to 2,000 pounds when properly equipped.
2017 Kia Sorento Sorento EX towing capacity
The 2017 Kia Sorento EX is powered by 2.0L Turbo Gasoline Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine. The key features are 18-inch tires with Alloy Wheels, front fog lights, Front LED accent lights, Rear Park Assist Sensor, UVO eServices Infotainment System with 7-inch touch screen, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, a rear-camera display, Push-button start with Smart Key & immobilizer, a Back-up warning system, dual-zone automatic temperature control, Leather seat trim, Heated front seats, Illuminated door handle pockets, Leather-wrapped steering wheel/gearshift knob and 8-way Power Driver Seat with lumbar support. The 2017 Kia Sorento EX’s maximum towing capacity is up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped.
2017 Kia Sorento SX towing capacity
The 2017 Kia Sorento SX trim is powered by a 3.3L Gasoline Direct Injection V6 engine. The key highlighted features are machined-finish 19-inch alloy wheels, chrome finish roof rails, Rear LED tail lamps, Infinity surround-sound audio with 10 speakers external amplifier & subwoofer, UVO eServices infotainment system with voice-command navigation, Smart-Power Liftgate with sensor, Blind-spot detection system, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, and a 10-way power adjustable driver’s seat with seat extension. The maximum towing capacity of the 2017 Kia Sorento SX trim is 5,000 pounds when properly equipped.
2017 Kia Sorento SX Limited towing capacity
The 2017 Kia Sorento SX Limited trim is set apart visually by unique self-leveling Xenon HID headlights, Front LED fog lights, and 19-inch chrome alloy wheels. Inside, unique and luxurious premium Nappa leather seat trim, wood-trimmed, Ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats are all standard. When properly equipped the maximum towing capacity of the 2017 Kia Sorento SX Limited is 3,500 pounds.
2017 Kia Sorento Safety Features
Sorento’s passive safety systems are designed to help minimize injury and protect occupants when an accident is inescapable. An advanced system of airbags Dual front airbags and seat-mounted side airbags guard the driver and front passenger. The high-strength steel-reinforced body helps minimize damage, absorb impact energy, and protect in case of a collision helping enhance you’re and your passengers well being.
- ISO-Structure: Sorento features a uniquely engineered body that combines various high-tensile strength steel alloys. This body structure helps provide crash protection, and better driving dynamics, and is the foundation for a quieter ride.
- Front & Rear Crumple Zones: Both front and rear crumple zones are specially engineered to help absorb and dissipate impact energy, helping to preserve the basic structural integrity of the passenger compartment in certain collisions.
- Front Seat Belt Pretensioners: Sorento’s advanced safety features have been designed to tighten the front seat belts in the event of certain collisions. This helps reduce the likelihood of injuries and lets out the appropriate amount of additional belts to limit pressure on the body.
- Latch System: Sorento features an easy-to-use Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system. It is engineered to let you securely install a compatible child seat at either end of the second-row seat
- Rollover Sensor: If the airbag sensors detect an impending rollover, the system can deploy the side airbags, side curtain airbags, and seat-belt.
Also Read: 2011 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2012 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2014 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2015 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2016 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento Hybrid towing capacity. 2023 Kia Sorento Plug-In Hybrid towing capacity.
2017 Kia Sorento Driver Assist Technology
The 2017 Kia Sorento features advanced active driver assist technology safety features designed to maintain control, even in harsh road conditions and in some emergency situations. Every system is also designed to function automatically, leaving you unburdened to focus on safe driving.
- Electronic Stability Control(ESC): ESC provides improved directional stability, which helps you maintain better control in difficult driving situations. During emergency maneuvers, it can control the engine and brakes to help enhance your Sorento’s ability to respond to your steering.
- Traction Control System(TCS): When TCS senses wheelspin during acceleration, it uses a combination of engine power and brake force to help transfer power to the wheels that have the most traction. This provides both increased control and enhanced responsiveness.
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution(EBD): It’s a system that helps to enhance your control and maintain more consistent braking as vehicle loads and weight distribution change, EBD automatically adjusts the front-to-rear balance of brake pressure at each wheel.
- Brake Assist System(BAS): If BAS detects emergency braking, based on how quickly you step on the brake pedal, it instantly applies full braking force, which helps shorten your overall stopping distance.
- Hill Assist Control (HAC): When stopped on a steep hill, a vehicle may roll once the driver releases the brake. HAC helps by gently applying the brakes for two seconds while you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator.
Is the 2017 Kia Sorento good for towing?
The 2017 Kia with updated technology such as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, as well as two new packages for greater flexibility the Advanced Touring Package and the Advanced Technology Package. The Sorento offers a host of previously unavailable driver assistance features such as Autonomous Emergency Braking and Dynamic Bending Lights. The maximum towing capacity is 5,000 pounds when equipped with the 3.3-liter GDI V6 engine and AWD configurations. Lastly, When pulling anything behind your Kia Sorento, you want to make sure it is properly equipped to handle the weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can a 2017 Kia Sorento tow?
The 2017 Kia Sorento SUV with seating options, convenience features, and towing capability the 2017 Kia Sorento is a great vehicle with towing capacity of 2,000-5,000 lbs. This variety is provided by the array of abilities each engine offers drivers. Starting with the standard 2.4L DOHC 16-valve engine, with the capacity to tow up to 2,500 pounds. The only available engine for the vehicle is the 3.3L DOHC 24-valve V6 engine, which can tow 3,500 pounds in FWD and 5,000 pounds in All-wheel drive.
Can you haul a trailer with a Kia Sorento?
Yes, with the Sorento’s max towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, you’re going to need one of the Sorento trims powered by the 3.3L V6 with an all-wheel drive system. The 2017 Kia Sorento has flexible and spacious interior seating, and high-performance towing capacities. Also, do check the exact weight of whatever you plan to tow before attaching it to your vehicle. It has advanced technology designed to provide convenient operation and enhance your driving experience.
Aaron Bennett is an accomplished author and a true aficionado when it comes to pickup trucks. With an unwavering passion for all things automotive, Aaron has dedicated his life to exploring the world of pickups and sharing his expertise with others. As the proud owner of several powerful machines, he has spent countless hours behind the wheel, navigating rugged terrains and conquering highways with unrivaled enthusiasm.